Incorporation


History
Early Settlers
The Railway
Religion and Education
The Hospital
Incorporation
Employment Today

A Town for all Seasons
Spring
Summer
Autumn
Winter

Interesting People
Future Leaders
Town Library
Did You Know !
Services and Organizations
Barachois Search and Rescue
Photo Album

Top

In 1957 the Provincial Government appointed the first Interm Council to care for the community until the first elected council came into being.

The town of Stephenville Crossing was incorporated in 1958. The first elected Mayor after incorporation was Mr. Bill Hogan. Although the population was small, the community had a hospital, several businesses, schools, churches, and a Royal Canadian Mounted Police Station.

The Canadian National Railway Company also had a railway station in the town, which served as a trans-shipment depot for the Bay St. George and Port au Port areas.


Historical Articles Bay St. George
A Pioneer History of St. Georges Diocese
Memorial University's Archival Treasures
Edward Wix's Travels in NFLD.
Photos Harmon Base
Old Photos Bay St. George
Newfoundland Heritage
NFLD history to 1869
Historical Directory of NFLD. Newspapers
Newfoundland Museum Notes
NFLD. History and Culture
Info on Stephenville Crossing
Telephone Directory 1951
Marcot 98
Flood 1951
Important Telephone Numbers