In 1957 the Provincial Government appointed the first Interm Council to care for the community until the first elected council came into being.
The town of Stephenville Crossing was incorporated in 1958. The first elected Mayor after incorporation was Mr. Bill Hogan. Although the population was small, the community had a hospital, several businesses, schools, churches, and a Royal Canadian Mounted Police Station.
The Canadian National Railway Company also had a railway station in the town, which served as a trans-shipment depot for the Bay St. George and Port au Port areas.